Car Accident (MVA) Treatment

MVA (Car Accident) Treatment Sherwood Park

“If you have been injured in an automobile accident in Alberta, you are entitled to accident benefits coverage regardless of whether you were at fault for the accident.” (Government of Alberta).

Steps to follow after a car accident (MVA)

Set up an appointment with your primary healthcare provider

Set up an appointment with your preferred health care practitioner (IE. doctor, physiotherapist) as soon as possible so they can assess your injury and develop a treatment plan.

Although your insurance company may refer you to a ‘preferred provider’, you are welcome to choose where you access treatment.

File a police report

Reach out to your local police station to file an official report of the accident in the following circumstances (from the Alberta government website):

    • if anyone is injured
    • if any driver does not have documentation such as a driver’s licence, registration, or insurance
    • if one or more of the vehicles isn’t drivable
    • if the total damage to all the vehicles and property appears to be more than $2,000 (as of January 1, 2011), you must go to a police station and file a Collision Report Form
      • failure to do so could result in demerit points or a fine
      • note the file number the police have assigned to your report
    • if the driver is incapable of making the report, a passenger should file the report or the owner of the vehicle upon learning about the collision

Complete the necessary forms

You’ll need to complete an AB-1: Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim Form and return it to your insurance company. Delaying this step may impact your eligibility for coverage, so you’ll want to make sure this is submitted as soon as possible after your car accident. Don’t forget to keep a copy for your records.

Wait for your insurance company to reach out

Your insurance company will contact you regarding the benefits you’re entitled to once they’ve reviewed your completed AB-1 form. They may also need additional information to process your claim.

Read on below for more information about physio treatment following a car accident (MVA)

Why Choose Acceleration Physiotherapy for your car accident rehab?

Extensive experience
Trusted by other medical professionals
One on One care

Car accident (MVA) treatment FAQs

What’s covered?

The amount of treatment you are covered for depends on the type of injury you have. After your assessment, your therapist will provide a diagnosis and explain your treatment plan moving forward.

If you have a sprain, strain, or whiplash, you will receive up to 21 visits covered by insurance. These visits are to be used within 90 days of your accident. If you sustained injuries that do not fit under these categories, you may fall out of the “Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols” for car accidents. In this case, your healthcare provider and the insurance company will communicate to determine the course of action for your ongoing treatment.

What if I’m still not better?

If you’ve reached the end of your approved number of visits or the 90-day timeline following your car accident and your therapist determines you still require additional treatment, they’ll indicate this in the report they send to your insurance.

After reviewing the information, your insurance may or may not approve additional treatments outside the “protocols”. It’s important to note that even if additional treatment is approved, you will need to exhaust your personal extended health benefits (Blue Cross, Sun Life, etc) first.

Where can I find more information?

The Government of Alberta website outlines the steps to take following a car accident – view that information here.

If you have any questions about the process or if you’d like to book a physiotherapy assessment for your car accident treatment at Acceleration Physiotherapy, please get in touch!

What Our Patients Say